MPI works with many of the systems you already use
MPI have an flexible import/export interface for integration to a broad range of systems.
The interface in MPI is strong and extremely useful for import and maintenance from Excel, MS Project and ERP/HR and CRM systems. To the right you see some of the most known systems, that MPI is compatible with.
Organizations have different maturity when it comes to portfolio and project management. It is important to take this into account when an implementation plan for MPI is agreed upon.
It is our approach, based on vast experience, that it is best to start from the top with a simple first phase only involving few persons from the Project Office, Management and department heads and focus on getting a truthful overview and picture of the options.
You can later decide to stay at this level or continue to involve more people and processes.
MPI has all the functionality needed to take you the whole way and we constantly improve and add new stuff based on experience from our customers and partners.
MPI is also 100% configurable so that the setup exactly matches the requirement of each function and person. As simple as you want.
Below we define the main phases of a full implementationt plan, phase by phase. From phase 3 and onwards it is optional.
Phase 2 is described in more detail in the menu point below: Empower PMO.
MPI interfaces with dozens of external systems, and we’re adding more all the time!
Phase 1. Project scope
Purpose: To agree on functional requirements, technical setup and milestone plan
Normally it will start with a cut and paste input of existing Excel sheets mapped into the MPI database. This normally takes only a few hours. Even with rough data , we can demonstrate and show MPI in a way which is meaningful and useful to the customer.
Phase 2. Empower PMO. Project Office level. Portfolio management
Purpose: To bring 1.st level Portfolio Execution capability.
Bring management the overview of the portfolio status and true state of affairs and set up a simple information flow
- Import your top level project portfolio and resource data to MPI. Verify and adjust
- Monthly capacity input from resource departments. Simple spreadsheet. Roles
- Monthly project status input from project managers. Project reporting
- Management decision support. Configure dash boards and portfolio diagram
- Ability to make scenarios and present the consequences.
A PMO setup can be done in 2 – 4 weeks including training.
See menu point Empower PMO for more details on this phase.
Phase 3, Empower Project Managers. Optional
Purpose: To make life easier and better for PM’s for better scheduling, resource assignment and project reporting
- We recommend starting to define projects by Deliverables or Product Break Down (Prince2, PMI and generate future projects on this basis.
- Set up project models with templates for standardization and control of workflows
- Project planning with dependencies inside projects and between projects
- Assign named resources and teams in collaboration with resource departments. Observe bottlenecks
- Set up project Governance with monthly or weekly reports of status, RAG, issues, risk.
Phase 4. Empower Resource Owners. Resource capacity management.
Purpose: To give realistic input about capacity available and better control of performance and competences
- Set up competence data for people (levels and combinations)
- Report capacity on individual basis including personal calendars and work load other responsibilities
- Follow up on efficiency and productivity, especially on delivered capacity versus promised
- Optional: Analyze future requirements for competences based on forecasted project load
- Set up plans for training, education and recruitment in cooperation with HR.
Phase 5. Empower people and teams
Purpose: To motivate and commit people and teams in their fulfillment of jobs assigned to them.
- Communicate updated Job lists with planned data and information about dependencies and collaboration with others
- Provide tools for personal planning and make the information available to the organization
- Regular Feedback on time spent
- Regular Feedback on estimate to complete with logs on issues, risk etc.
Phase 6. Integrated Visual program Leadership
- MPI has advanced tools for follow up across the organization on issues and take action on the spot during meetings.
- MPI has full capability to audit all actions taken by person, point in time and value before and after.
- MPI can be implemented with notes and document tracing.